Monday, September 04, 2006

My Life, in Miniature


Everyone asks me how my life here is different than in the USA. The major things remain constant: I'm a smartass, my apartment is a mess, etc. The big change is the scale of my life. In Dallas, to do anything required at least 20-30 minutes of driving. Driving 100 miles in a day is just part of life. Here in the Dorf my life rarely goes outside a 3 mile radius. If I can't walk somewhere in 15 minutes, I consider it a long way away. It's like I've been turned into BigEd or another of the Dallas-ites with a inside 635 LoJack on their ankle. Like this weekend. I went to Essen for the Friedrich exhibit (note to Casey: this is recent), all of 30 min & 20 miles away, and it was a big excursion! I think my horizons and my daily commute are inversely proportional

1 comment:

angrylilazngrl said...

gotta say i don't miss the driving at all. no sir. and you're right....like going to d and tobi's place in kaarst was FAR. ha! i don't miss the constant gas-getting, the 150* seat belt burning a hole in my side, or the traffic. the traffic! horror. and your horizons aren't too narrow....you're one of the few people i know who have been to slovenia....