Monday, July 20, 2009

London: Eating



When Margaret suggested that we go to an Indian seafood place, I immediately responded with a resounding "hell, yes!" And, boy, was I ever correct in my enthusiasm. Rasa Samudra, though the decor was hideously pink, contained phenomenal food. We started with a sampler of 6 pickles: mango (really good, when normally I hate them), onion, lemon, fish, shrimp and another that was also tasty. Oh my, yes. Then our mains:



That's some crab with a dry curry. It's sinfully* good. We also had coconut rice, which sounds blah, but was the best rice I've ever had, a beet-spinach curry, which was delightfully different, and some paratha bread which was even better than Thai Garden's roti bread.



Just FYI: the dried pepper in the middle of the coconut rice (similar to the one atop the beet-spinach curry) is not hot at first. It's a time-delayed burst of fire. Fortunately I was able to fill my own prescription for cold Cobra and tasty coconut rice to salve the pain.

* Leviticus 11:10-12

2 comments:

Albert said...

When we went to London it was all on the cheap. I really enjoyed the pub food. My favorite was the Sausage and Mash. simple and to the point. Served with a pint.

jtingermany said...

My first trip there was also on the cheap. This one was more on the medium. We did have a tasty boar sausage and mash and fish and chips the second night.