Sunday, July 03, 2011

Moving

I HATE moving. I don't dislike it, I actually hate it. This goes a long way to explaining why I've been in the same apartment for five years. When I was in Dallas I had a semi-firm rule about not helping people move -- just hire movers. But in Germany, I've managed to be roped into helping with 4 moves (though two of those I did about as little as humanly possible). So when Kaisi asked me to help her move the same weekend I was in Amsterdam, I was thrilled to weasel out of it. Unfortunately, this got postponed to yesterday and I was stuck with no legitimate excuses. But here are the three I considered:

  1. I'm out of town -- I've been traveling so much that this seemed believable, but Kaisi knew I was in town this weekend. Dammit.
  2. I have friends visiting -- I didn't want her to call my bluff on this one. Then I would be a liar AND a friendless loser. Not a good combo, just ask former Congressman Weiner.
  3. I reinjured my ankle -- Again, it's getting caught out that killed this one. And if she asked me to just come hang out and heckle Berti, I would've been forced to fake a limp.
Any suggestions?  I need to be prepared the next time one of my friends is too cheap to hire movers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My back has a dislocated disc?

swcook said...

Sand in your mangina?

Anonymous said...

Haha, you apparently saw my posts about moving...
I hate it as much as you do... But it's not that easy to get a decent deal for movers that can do it when I want it done - but don't worry, won't ask you for help, enough people already offered. I think I'm the only one who really wants to get out of it :-)
/Ann-Katrin

jtingermany said...

Actually, AK, I didn't see your post. When/where are you moving? Unfortunately, I have sand in my mangina/a dislocated disc.

Anonymous said...

Just around the corner kind of - and I eventually found a moving company that can do it for me, for a decent price, when I want it done. So if they indeed show up when they are supposed to, all that the poor/kind/slightly stupid people who weren't able to come up with an excuse will be doing on the moving day is move the things on the walls (paintings and mirrors).
So fingers crossed!

Anonymous said...

PS! I don't of course, think that my friends are stupid for real, Except possibly for the guy who us trying to convince me that using a moving company would be unnecessary. He is a wee bit silly. Ian in fact happy that so many offered to help. But I am very happy if I don't need to use their services...